St. Michael’s Museum, Miramichi, New Brunswick
A small wooden house built in 1846 serving as the rectory, now houses the St. Michael’s Museum of Miramichi. This is where the first Hospitallers of Saint Joseph lived when they arrived in 1869. They received a few patients and a little orphan. This small, two story museum, which recalls the history of Hotel Dieu , Chatham, displays interesting artifacts dating to the origins of the hospital and the monastery. One can see, among other things, objects which belonged to the clergy or people from the Miramichi region, paintings of sail boats, a register of doctors, the uniform worn by the students of St. Michael’s Academy, pewter dishes, photos of graduating classes of the School of Nursing, a portrait of the foundress, Mother St. Louis and the parlor grate of the old Hotel Dieu demolished in 1963. This small historic house also serves as the genealogy Center.
Address: P.O. Box 368, 10 Howard St., Miramichi, New Brunswick, E1N 3A7
Tel: (506) 778-5152
Fax: (506) 778-5156