1869 to present
Miramichi is the name given to the new city resulting from a merger of Chatham-Newcastle. In 1869, four Hospitallers, namely, Sisters Louise Davignon, Saint Louis, Helen McCurty and Vitaline Leveille from Montreal, arrived in Chatham to care for the sick and open an orphanage.
The Hospitallers served the sick in the Miramichi area for 127 years. In 1996, Hotel-Dieu disappeared following the construction of a regional Hospital in Miramichi.
In 1871, the RHSJs established St. Michael’s Academy in Chatham, with Sister Cesarine Raymond as its first director. The Sisters remained at St. Michael’s Academy until 1969 at which time it became a government elementary school.
In 1949, the old section used for the boarders of St. Michael’s Academy was renovated and became Mount Saint Joseph, a residence for the elderly. In 1975, the residents of the “Mount” moved into a modern four-story building which became home for more than 100 residents. In 2006, the RHSJ opened a senior assisted living apartment complex, Hotel-Dieu Place on the site of the former Hotel-Dieu Hospital. Three Hospitallers lived in this residence until 2009.
It is a member of Catholic Health Partner with headquarters in the Miramichi.
Announce the Good news of a God who unites and frees by:
Quality of hospitality and listening to families, persons at Mount St. Joseph and meeting students in the area.
Engaging in pastoral care health services, accompanying those who mourn at funerals,
and participation in the mission of the Ethics committee.
Two RHSJ live in an half a duplex in Miramichi.