St. Catharines - Community of RHSJ
1945 to the present
Archbishop James C. McGuigan of Toronto, Ontario, encouraged the RHSJ of Kingston to accept a new mission and open the only Catholic Hospital in the Niagara Peninsula in what is now the diocese of St. Catharines.
In the fall of 1945 three Sisters from Hotel-Dieu, Kingston, Sisters Mary Immaculate (Sarah Kathleen Kennedy), Sisters Brennan and Callaghan founded this community. After having surmounted numerous obstacles, the Hotel-Dieu opened in 1948.
Be a witness to a God who frees and unites, by showing tender compassion to the sick and suffering in the hospital and our local area.
Two RHSJ are present in the parish, at the Hotel-Dieu Shaver Health and Rehabilitation Center. One sister is a volunteer; the other, Director of Pastoral Health Care services.