1932 to the present

Notre Dame de Lourdes Sanatorium at Lady Dunn
At the beginning of the 1930s, a rampant epidemic of tuberculosis spread throughout the Northeast of New Brunswick. There being no sanatorium in that region, Bishop Chiasson called upon the Hospitallers. On May 4, 1931, Sisters La Dauversiere, Eva Albert (St. Albert), Marie de l’Assomption (Turcotte) and Leontine took possession of the residence Sir James Dunn had put at their disposal. They converted this residence into a temporary hospital and on August 5, 1932, this 90 bed sanatorium opened its doors.

In 1972, when tuberculosis had abated, this sanatorium no longer had its raison d’etre, it became the Notre Dame de Lourdes nursing home. The Sisters lived in that residence until July 2000 when the nursing home which had become obsolete, was demolished. The government built a new facility and today, it is a member of the Catholic Health International health system.

Hotel-Dieu Saint Joseph
During the 1930s, the two modest hospitals in the city of Bathurst no longer met the growing needs of the region. Both had suffered from fires in 1940 and 1953.

The pastor of the Cathedral wanted a catholic hospital directed by the RHSJ. In 1935, he purchased property which would serve for the future hospital and the future Diocese of Bathurst. In March 1940, Sister La Dauversiere (Isabelle Sourmany) Superior of the Notre Dame de Lourdes Sanatorium accepted the responsibility for the construction and administration of the hospital. In 1942, the new 60 bed hospital was directed by Sister Eva Albert. The following year, Hotel-Dieu established a school of nursing organized and directed by Sister Carroll followed by Sisters Marthe LaPlante, Jeannette Theriault and Therese Hache. A school of nursing assistants was opened in 1953. In 1947, the Canadian Council on Accreditation recognized the quality of care given at Hotel Dieu and in 1951, the hospital received official accreditation from the American College of Surgeons. The Sisters of the Hotel-Dieu moved to rue Saint Andre in April 1967.

On January 22, 1972, Hotel Dieu closed and the sick were transferred to the new Chaleur Hospital built by the New Brunswick government. The Hotel-Dieu building was sold in March 1973.
1943 – Saint Camille de Lellis Nursing Home
The third apostolate of the RHSJ in Bathurst was the Saint Camille de Lellis nursing home which had several transitions before its integration with the Notre Dame de Lourdes sanatorium. In 1943, three Sisters from Campbellton came to serve at the Home for the Aged. The elderly residents of this home had gone through several institutions prior to coming to the Saint Camille de Lellis Nursing Home. Thirty years later, for security reasons, the ministry of health condemned the wooden building. In October 1974 the residents were moved to the renovated former Sanatorium which was thereafter known as the Notre Dame de Lourdes residence. At the promptings of the Provincial Government, construction for a new Residence began in September 1998. On May 20, 2000, the residents moved into the new modern Residence which is a member of Catholic Health Partners health system.
La Dauversiere Pavilion
This building begun in 1948 was left incompleted and had several successive vocations. It opened its doors in 1948 and in 1951, was annexed to the sanatorium which was lacking space. Ten years later, the pavilion, which became an annex of the Hotel Dieu, was refurbished for pediatrics, maternity and nursery services. On February 2, 1972, this building became the property of the government and was demolished.
Our Lady of the Assumption Residence
In 1946, the French speaking communities of RHSJ in New Brunswick formed a Generalate with its headquarters located in Sir James Dunn residence in Vallee Lourdes, Bathurst.  On December 24, 1951, fire destroyed this residence. In 1953, a new building was built and became the Our Lady of the Assumption Provincial House.

Hospitality House
From 1978-1993, Sister Simone Gagne was the hostess at this family style house. She welcomed women, children and young teen-agers who needed comfort and guidance as they followed another phase in their lives. The opening of a hospitality center in the heart of the city of Bathurst and Sister Simone’s ailing health led to the closing of this house.